Tuesday 7 December 2010

Vintage Boden Baggies

All excited and inspired I set off into town on Sunday to buy materials to make some trousers for Wesley. Of course most of the decent fabric shops in Brighton were closed on Sundays, so I ended up trawling the depressing selection of material in C&H fabrics, designed purely for OAP's, parents making children's fancy dress costumes and maybe the odd middle aged woman making a hideous evening gown. I bought a few bits which I will hopefully turn into something interesting soon, however I had a lot more success in one of the North Laine vintage clothes shops in the form of an old checked shirt that I bought for £5 and turned into a pair of imitation mini Boden baggies.



Okay so at first glance they look pretty fab if I do say so myself! However a horrible horrible headache, a sewing machine on the blink and a very vague set of instructions the outcome isn't quite as I had planned. To start with my sewing machine only sews in zig zag mode which is more than a little problematic, I then made a very stupid mistake; the trousers are supposed to have turn-ups, so in order to do this nicely I had sewn a lining into the bottoms that would be visible when turned up (just in the same fabric), however when I turned them up I realised I had seriously messed up the seam which was obviously now visible. I still haven't worked out how to do the turn-ups properly, but luckily I had also made an error in the length, meaning they fit perfectly without a turn up! But I must work out how to do this before I make the next pair as I have bought fancy brightly coloured fabric for the lining.

On a plus side, I have dropped my sewing machine off at a repair place, and will hopefully have a quote to get it fixed soon, hopefully its not so old that they no longer stock the parts!


Oh and Wesley did an explosive poo all over the inside of the trousers, just to show his appreciation for my hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment