Tuesday 14 December 2010

New Sewing Machine!

I went to pick up the old broken machine and asked the shy little old man to demonstrate the cheapest of his Elna sewing machines. His demonstration was so good I learned more about sewing in those 20 mins than I have my lifetime! I was so grateful to him that I decided to go for it, and call it my (slightly overpriced) christmas present! Little old man, who was actually just a workshop technician covering for the owner whilst he was out, practically fell off his chair when I said I wanted to buy it, which made me feel very pleased to be supporting a local business. Yes it cost me £20 more than I could have got it online, but I would have paid that for the service I received. He made sure I knew I could come back anytime if I had any problems, and I will feel very happy to do so if the need arises.













So my new machine is the Elna 2100, I think it is their most basic model, but the only benefit I could see of having the next model up is about 8 more fancy stitches that I doubt I'd ever use anyway. Best of all I actually KNOW how to use it! Properly!! Looking back I now realise I hadn't much of a clue how to use my old machine. I really only knew how to do straight stitch and zig zag. Now I know all sorts, including doing reinforced stitches, stretch stitches, blind hems and button holes! Okay so I haven't put many of them into practice yet, but I intend to put them to full use – no more bodged sewing jobs from me, I intend to finish each project to the highest of my ability!

Of course Wesley was very impressed with the box, and has also been caught eating lumps of polystyrene that packaged the sewing machine – oops! I hope it doesn't cause any serious side effects, although I have been wondering if he may be extra buoyant in the swimming pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment