Monday 17 January 2011

Stumbling Block

Feeling a bit disheartened today, I had big plans to make more highchair splash mats in some fancy fabrics and try and sell them on ebay or etsy. It was all going well until my sewing machine started slipping and seriously messing up the decorative stitch i've been doing around the outside. After doing some research I have discovered that this is a common problem and that oilcloth type fabrics are notoriously difficult to sew.














I sewed 2 mats, the first mat looks a mess because the stitch is so irregular, so in an attempt to save the second I decided to just do a regular straight stitch, however this mat also hasn't turned out good enough to sell as the fabric ended up gathering up, which looks pants.

So I have decided that I need to get some sewing lessons. I am really passionate about doing this, but my skills are still really limited. I have found a lady up the road who does lessons and have left a message on her answerphone, hopefully she will get back to me. However, having done some sums it has become apparent that we have run out of money this month, so all plans are on hold until payday at the beginning of feb.

Here you can see the messed up stitching :(











And here you can see how the fabric has gathered up...

No comments:

Post a Comment